Veal escalopes with lemon, capers and spinach puree (piccata al limone)
Such a wonderful recipe, ready in under 30 minutes. Perfect for a busy day after work, delicious and healthy at the same time. I love a good spinach puree, creamy and flavourful, the nutmeg does all the job! Just try it, you won't be disappointed.
1. Place the veal between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet until an even thickness. Lightly dust each side with flour.
2. Heat the olive oil and butter in a large frying pan. Fry the escalopes over moderately high heat for about 2 minutes on each side, or until golden. Season and transfer to a warm plate.
3. Add the wine to the pan, increase the heat to high and boil until there are just 3-4 tablespoons of liquid left. Pour in the stock and boil for about 5 minutes, or until it has reduced and slightly thickened.
4. Add the lemon juice and capers and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Taste for seasoning, then return the escalopes to the pan and heat through for 30 seconds. Sprinkle with parsley.
5. Wash the spinach and put in a large saucepan with just the water clinging on the leaves. Cover the pan and steam for 2 minutes, or until just wilted. Drain and squeeze dry. Finely chop.
6. Put the spinach in a small saucepan and gently heat through. Increase the heat and gradually add the butter, stirring all the time. Add the creme fraiche and stir into the spinach until it is glossy. Season and stir in the nutmeg.