I believe baklava is one of my favourite desserts. I had some doubts after a failed attempt in making it a few years back. I was wandering in a Turkish store a few days ago and found this filo pastry and decided to use it. Not so happy about my choice though, I think the filo was a bit dry and it might have used more sauce. Next time I will use another brand for sure. All in all a great recipe, don't eat more than 2 pieces if you care for your diet;)
- Prep Time : 30 minutes
- Cook Time : 40 minutes
- Yield : 12
- Allergens : walnuts
1. Make the sauce while baklava is baking: Boil the sugar and water until sugar is dissolved. Add honey and lemon peel. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, then remove from heat and allow to cool. Then put it in the fridge. Remove lemon peel and discard.
2. Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4. Butter the bottom and sides of a 15x15cm baking dish. Toss nuts with cinnamon. Set aside.
3. Unroll the filo pastry . Cut whole stack at once to fit the dimensions of the baking dish. Cover filo with a damp cloth to keep from drying out as you work. Place two sheets of filo in dish, buttering the top layer. Repeat until you have 8 sheets layered. Sprinkle 2 to 3 tablespoons of nut mixture on top. Top with two sheets of filo, butter, nuts, layering as you go, until you have finished all the nuts. I had like 4 layers of nuts. Then put two sheets of filo, butter, another 2, butter until the top layer should be about 6 to 8 sheets deep.
4. Using a sharp knife, cut into diamond or square shapes but not all the way to the bottom of the dish. This is because after baking and pouring the cold sauce, it will not remain at the bottom of the dish, but will moist all the pie. Bake for about 40 minutes until the baklava is golden and crisp.
5. Remove the baklava from the oven and immediately pour cooled sauce over it. Let it cool. Leave it uncovered as it gets soggy if wrapped.