Nutribix breakfast like you’ve never had before
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. One of the frequent quotes given by any nutritionist “Breakfast like a King, lunch like a Prince, and dine like a Pauper” is as real as snow in Alaska. We often let it slide away from our list of daily priorities, but if you don’t have time to enjoy a proper breakfast, you better wake up 20 minutes early. Why? Because I have an important list of my own, with benefits of a healthy breakfast.
Health and wellbeing as the top targets of a daily breakfast
Your body and brain need to charge after an overnight fast, and if you were wondering where the name of breakfast originates, well, it means brake the fast! I am not sure about that, but it does sound convincing. A healthy breakfast should provide calories in the range of 20-35% of your daily allowance. Beside providing energy, breakfast foods are full of nutrients such as calcium, iron and B vitamins, protein and fibre. Fruit and vegetables are also important sources of vitamins and minerals, so go wild with your favourite pick, but don’t go overboard, too much sugar, even natural, is well, too much. Furthermore, if you skip breakfast you are more prone to load on fatty snacks and high sugar foods mid-morning, and no one loves getting on a diet when it’s too late.
Breakfast enhances your cognitive function
By restoring your glucose levels, responsible for brain function, eating breakfast improves memory and concentration and it also makes us happier, by reducing the stress levels. Brain needs energy too!
Long term health
Breakfast enjoyed daily has a lot of benefits for the long term, such as reducing obesity, high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes. Obviously, it does matter what you eat daily for breakfast. If you’re more of an English breakfast fan, and follow with high in calories foods throughout the day, then you better stop. Your health is more important and there are so many healthy options on the market for a delicious but healthy breakfast.
Nutribix checks all the benefits on my list and more: will keep your body happy. Packed with nutritious wholegrains and some of nature’s yummiest ingredients, Nutribix will make you excited to dive into your cereal bowl and say ‘Let’s Go!’ in the mirror before you start your day. Crunch and pop fans take note! Gold and Grains is the crunchiest, tastiest and most delicious breakfast around. Using coconut, honey and the ancient grain Sorghum this makes the perfect choice for anyone who really wants to get going in the morning. Coeliac and gluten-free foodies rejoice! Your light, crunchy, flaky, wheaty cereal (without the wheat) is here in the shape of Nutribix Gluten Free. I’ve been challenged to prepare a breakfast with Nutribix and came up with two delicious recipes, but first let me tell you the story behind them.
I am a breakfast/brunch kind of girl. The fancier, the better. Breakfast is an excellent occasion to spend time with your family so I have invited two of my sisters-in-law for a different kind of morning, not the usual coffee with cake or omelettes we used to have often. So, how can you enjoy some wholegrain bars? I could’ve definitely blended them with some coconut milk, frozen berries and spinach for an energy booster smoothie, or mixed them with a few spoons of yogurt and honey, but I wanted to get creative. Thus, two really simple but effective recipes were born: Berry and yogurt popsicle crunch bars, and peanut butter and chocolate cereal bars, because you can never have sweet without the sour, can you? Children and grownups alike will love both interpretations of cereal classics. The popsicle crunch bars are a healthy treat made with fat-free yogurt and fresh or frozen blueberries and strawberries, and then coated in crunchy Nutribix. They look guilty delicious, but they have zero fat. You can’t believe how easy it is to make them. Just prepare them the night before and get ready for all the compliments in the morning.
Now, the peanut butter and chocolate cereal bars are amazingly good, that you have to hide them from yourself. Not your typical breakfast, but if you have a sweet tooth like myself, then this is the way to go. This recipe takes literally 10 minutes to prepare, but the expectation is hard, because you have to refrigerate it over night. The outcome is not only appealing, but also divine. Vegan and gluten-free, these chewy and dense cereal bars will do wonders over a cup of coffee. Scroll down for the recipes and enjoy your breakfast!
- Yield: 8
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
Berries and yogurt popsicle crunch bars, and peanut butter and chocolate cereal bars
- Berry and yogurt popsicle crunch bars
- Greek nonfat yogurt vanilla - 500g
- Fresh/frozen blueberries - 100g
- Fresh/frozen strawberries - 100g
- Nutribix Gold and Grains/Gluten Free - 100g
- Vanilla yogurt for dipping - 50g
- Peanut butter and chocolate cereal bars
- Peanut butter - 400g
- Corn syrup/Golden syrup - 100ml
- Granulated sugar - 50g
- Light brown sugar - 30g
- Vanilla extract - 1 tbsp
- Nutribix Gluten Free - 350g
- Chocolate chips - 200g
- Vegetable shortening - 2 tbsp
- Creamy peanut butter, melted - 70g
1. Blend a quarter of the yogurt with the blueberries and divide between the popsicle molds. Divide another quarter of the yogurt between the molds.
2. Blend the remaining yogurt with the strawberries and fill in the molds until they are full. Insert the popsicle sticks into each mold and let sit in the freezer for at least 4 hours.
3. Crumble the cereals. Dip the popsicles tops in yogurt and then sprinkle with the crushed cereal. You can eat them immediately or put them back in the freezer until frozen.
4. For the peanut butter and chocolate cereal bar, line a 21 square pan with aluminium foil leaving overhang.
5. In a large bowl, combine 300g peanut butter, corn syrup, sugars and heath on high power for 1 minute in the microwave, until it melts. Stir, then if it's granulated, return to microwave and heat for 1 more minute.
6. Add the vanilla and stir in the crushed cereal. Turn the mixture in the pan and smooth it with a spatula.
7. For the chocolate topping, combine the chocolate chips, shortening, and heat in the microwave on high power for 1 minute to melt. Pour the chocolate over bars.
8. Drizzle the melted peanut butter over the chocolate in 5 wide, evenly spaced lines. Rotate pan 90 degrees. With a toothpick, starting at the top of the pan, draw 5 evenly spaced lines trough the peanut butter. This will create a marble effect.
9. Cover the pan with a sheet of foil and place in the fridge to set for at least 3 hours. The bars will keep airtight at room temperature for up to one week.